Broccoli Soup with Ayurvedic Spices
Did you know that broccoli contains more Vitamin C that a citrus fruit? And that this cruciferous veggie contains potent disease fighters such as sulforaphane and isothiocyanates, which scientists believe to have cancer-fighting capabilities? Add to this the fact that Broccoli contains lots of fibre, chlorophyll and calcium and here you have a great ingredient for your vegetable stews, salads or juices. Not just because it’s super healthy, broccoli is also super yummy!
Here’s a very simple and fast recipe for a delicious soup with Ayurvedic spices. Broccoli and zucchini have cooling properties, which makes this a great soup for Pitta Dosha, but through adding the spices it’s becoming more suited for all body types. If you feel overheated, leave out the ginger, chillies and the mustard seeds, this will make the soup more cooling. Don’t have leek or zucchini in your fridge? You leave either of them out and still have a delicious soup.
- 1 small broccoli
- 1 small leek
- 1 zucchini
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cm ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- ½ green chili
- 1 ts. Mustard seeds
- 1 ts. kurkuma (turmeric)
- 1 ts. Coriander powder
- A sniff of cumin seeds
- Freshly grinded black pepper
- A pinch of Himalayan salt
- 1 liter of water
- 2 tbsp. Coconut oil
- Heat the coconut oil and let the mustard seeds pop.
- Add garlic and ginger, stir.
- Add the spices and chili. Keep stirring for 1 minute.
- Add onion and stir until golden.
- Add the green veggies and stir fry for a short while.
- Pour the water (pre heated) and leave to simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and leave to cool for a few minutes.
- Then blend the soup and again leave to stand for a moment, this allows the taste to improve. You can serve it with a dash of good quality olive oil and some freshly chopped green herbs.
If you want to treat your body with more delicious and healthy green food to boost your immune system and overall well being, take a look at our 11 days Green Detox!