Chanting the mantra Sat Narayan for Inner Peace
When practicing Kundalini Yoga it is very common to chant a mantra during your yoga practice (Kriya) and many of the Kundalini Yoga meditations involve chanting a mantra. A mantra is a sound, not just any sound, but sacred sounds, syllables that carry a certain vibration which affect our mind and thus our mood, the way we feel.
Feelings and emotions always are a reaction to a thought, even if you are not aware of the thought itself, and just like sound waves, these thought waves vibrate at a certain frequency. Chanting a mantra allows you to consciously shift the frequency in which you vibrate. It is a very powerful tool to help you break out of negativity (lower vibration) and bring you back into a more harmonious, open and loving vibe.
“Sat Narayan is the most powerful ashtang (8-part) mantra. It cleanses out the subconscious as well as impurity from your surroundings.” — Yogi Bhajan
In one of his teachings Yogi Bhajan shared a mantra that is especially useful to help you to feel more inner peace through the powerful cleansing of the subconscious, the Chotai Pad mantra, also known as Sat Narayan.
Meaning of the mantra ‘Sat Narayan Wahe Guru Hari Narayan Sat Nam’
1) Sat Narayan is True Sustainer
2) Narayan means Vishnu, God of the water
3) Other meanings or translations of ‘Narayan’ are: Resting place for all living entities or the One who rests on water.
1) Infinite Wisdom, the Guru Mantra, the mantra of ecstasy, elevating the spirit
2) Wahe Guru is the flow, it is a purifying and elevating mantra, purifying body and mind
1) Hari is God in action both through creating and destroying (Hariang)
2) Nar means person. Narayan then is the primal person, like the blueprint of a all people
3) A creative source (makes the one who chants it intuitively clear or healing)
1) Sat means the Truth; Nam means to call upon, name or identify with
2) True Identity
3) I call upon the eternal Truth that resides in all of us
Surrender into non-resistance
This mantra helps you to relax and allow yourself to surrender into a state of non-resistance, going with the flow. The sound Narayan is related to the water element and represents Vishnu, the God of the Water. Water cleanses you, it flows and it can carry you if you allow yourself to float, to relax. As babies in our mothers womb, water was our home, where we felt safe and protected. Chanting this mantra brings you to this primal state of inner peace and once we feel it, we vibrate it and then we project it outward, bringing peace into the world. You vibrate the divine essence.
“Like you can see through clear water you can see through the clear mind & beyond this phenomenal world realize God.” — Yogi Bhajan
Sat Narayan brings you beyond the phenomenal world, the 3 dimensional world you can see with your physical eyes, it allows you to sense the infinite, it opens you up for a more subtle, peaceful experience of life as it sows the seeds of peace and patience inside of you, bringing you to the realization that peace cannot be created, rather it is the most pure essence of your True Self, Sat Nam.
Inner Peace Sadhana
Dive deeper into the experience of chanting this mantra and do the Inner Peace Sadhana, chant 11 minutes a day for 11 days. This mantra meditation helps you to relax and allows yourself to surrender into a state of non-resistance, to go with the flow. Chanting this mantra brings you to this primal state of inner peace and once we feel it, we vibrate it and then we project it outward, bringing peace into the world. Learn more: www.kundaliniyogaschool.org/peace/