Food as Medicine – Vegan Cauliflower Flaxseed Quiche (gluten free)
According to Chinese Medicine the lungs and the colon are connected to ‘Metal’ (air/ether = Vata in Ayurveda). White is the colour of this element and through eating white foods you can strengthen the Metal element in your body.
When Metal is in balance in your body/mind system you will find it easier let go of things (physically, mentally and emotionally) and it gives you a healthy sense of self esteem. Here is a lovely and healing White Metal recipe to give some extra love to your colon.
- Cauliflower has a calming and anti-flammatory effect on the colon and contains a lot of fibre that promotes healthy colon functioning because it cleanses and helps to remove excess unneccesary substances. Steamed and prepared with the spices as given in this recipe it also supports to balance Vata (Air/Ether) in the body, meaning, it will not give you extra air in your intestines.
- Mushrooms invigorate en strengthen. They contain a lot of fibre and moisten, this is great for a dry skin (skin is connected to lungs, the other Metal organ). Please use organic mushrooms, since absorb and you don’t want to bring in extra toxins into your body.
- The flax seeds in this recipe complete the cleaning properties of this recipe. When you grind and soak them they will leave a slimy layer on the inside of your colon and when this leaves the body it will take a lot of toxins with it. The many fibres in this recipe will promote healthy bowel movement. Help your body to do this by drinking enough water when you prepare this recipe (not during or right after eating, wait at least half an hour) so you easily let go of what you no longer need!
- 1 cup of flax seeds
- 250 gram of white mushrooms cut into four parts
- 1 small to medium size cauliflower divided into small florets
- 1 tbsp of coconut oil
- A dash of olive oil
- 1 leek in small rings
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 to 8 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 3 to 5 cm fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 bayleaf
- 1 ts of mustard seeds
- 1 ts of cumin seeds
- 1 ts of turmeric
- 1 ts of coriander powder
- 1 ts of Mosterseeds
- A sniff of (himalayan) salt and pepper
- A sniff of nutmeg
- 2 tbsp of a gluten free flour (chickpea, chestnut, rice or maizena)
For the sauce
- 125 ml. of rice or almond milk
- 1 dessert spoon arrowroot powder
- 1 small clove of garlic, chopped
- A sniff black pepper, salt and nutmeg
1. Preheat the oven on 200 C. and let the flaxseed soak for at least 10 minutes in a cup of water (just enough to cover them). After soaking grind them with an immersion blender into a smooth paste.
2. Steam the cauliflower and the mushrooms until they are slightly tender, but not cooked! Check with a fork after 10 minutes and bring the veggies that are on the bottom to the top.
3. Heat the coconut oil and add the mustard and cumin seeds. Allow them to ‘pop’. Add turmeric and coriander powder, stir, add ginger and garlic and stir. Finally add the onion until golden brown.
4. Add the leek and fry shortly until allowing it to shrink. Turn of the heat
5. Add the flour to the leek and a big dash of olive oil, mix well.
6. Add the flax seed paste, cauliflower and mushrooms, it has to be of a sticky consistency.
7. Grease a baking pan/tin of a about 24 cm. and add the mixture. Leave to bake in the oven for at least half an hour until is has a nice golden colour.
8. Remove the quiche from the oven and leave to stand for about 10 minutes, this will enhance the taste and the texture
9. While you wait, make the white sauce for the quiche. Heat the ‘milk’ and add the desert spoon of arrowroot powder. Add some salt and pepper and nutmeg. If you would like your white sauce to become a bit ‘cheesy’, add two tablespoons of nutritional yeast at the end.
10. Serve everyone a slice of the quiche with some white sauce on top. Nice with whole grain rice and some grated turnip with a dressing of lime juice and olive oil.
More of these yummy recipes that get you healthy?
We are hosting an 22 Days Online Guided Spring Detox program that you can start at any time that works for you. A great opportunity to deeply cleanse your body and mind with a delicious Spring Detox Diet and a daily Kundalin Yoga practice with a gorgeous video. And of course many mouth watering Spring Detox recipes will come your way!
Spring Detox Sadhana – 22 Days of a Detox Diet and Kundalini Yoga
Help your body to rejuvenate, revitalize, gain health and strength with a thorough yet gentle and enjoyable Spring Detox Program. Git rid of toxins and the negative side effects of stress. Participation in this 22 day programme will make you more conscious about your eating habits and will help you to move towards a healthy lifestyle.
We will guide you through the whole process step by step with daily guidance emails and online support through the community to make your Spring Detox a succes!