Food as Medicine for your kidneys – Healing Black Bean Seaweed Soup
Winter is the season connected to our Kidneys, the batteries of our body. Winter is also the season that invites us to rest and recharge. This healing Black Bean Seaweed soup works as a tonic to help recharge your kidneys and increase your energy, especially if you are recovering from a stressfull period in your life.
According to Chinese Medicine black food and a salty taste are naturally foods that your kidneys like. Although your kidneys ‘like’ the salty taste, please do not overdo it! And please use unrefined sea salt (grey of color) or Himalayan Salt (from your organic store), no table salt, which has a very high concentration of sodium and doesn’t contain any of the minerals your body needs to stay healthy! In this healing recipe we use the natural salty taste of the powerfoods Arame, Kombu and Wakame. Never cooked with seaweed before? Enjoy this new discovery! Please note: This is a slow food recipe, start to boil your beans on time, they will need about two hours to get fully cooked!
Food as Medicine for low Kidney Energy
This soup is a ‘food as medicine’ that can help you when you experience the following symptoms that may be related to low kidney energy:
– mental lethargy
– weak knees and lower back
– lack of willpower and direction
– problems with urination (too frequent or inability)
– inactive, indecisive, unproductive
– lack of sexual desire
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 250 gr of dried black beans. You need to let them soak overnight, make sure your container is big enough, they will expand! You can add a dash of Apple Cidre Vinegar to it. Let them soak at least 8 hours
- 1 piece of Kombu (seaweed) of about 5 to 7 centimeters (this is for the broth)
- 1,5 l of water
- 1 ts of fennel powder
- 1 ts of dried ginger powder or 3 cm fresh ginger finely chopped
- 25 gr of dried Shitake (let them soak for at least 5 minutes in cold water)
- 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 15 cm of Daikon Raddish, cut into thin slices
- 2 small hands of Wakame (needs to soak for about 5 to 10 minutes, use a big container, it expands!)
- 2 small hands of Arame (needs to soak for 5 to 10 minutes, use a big container, it expands!)
- 1 tbs of Miso dissolved is a bit of water
Prep: 10 minutes (+ soaking your beans overnight)
Total: may take up to 2 hours (slow food)
- Rinse your beans after soaking them and put them in a large pot with the Kombu and 1,5 liters of water. Bring to boil and allow to them to cook for at least one hour (they will still be hard!)
- After one hour add the spices (ginger, fennel, garlic), the daikon and the Shitake mushrooms. Allow to cook for another half hour to 45 minutes. In the meantime soak the seaweeds
- Add most of the two seaweeds (I like to keep some aside for garnish) and cook a little while longer until the beans are soft.
- Turn down the heat, leave to stand for a few minutes. Then add the miso and stir. Add a pinch of seasalt if neccesary.
- You can either blend the soup with an immersion blender or eat it just as it is.
- Garnish with some raw thin slices of Daikon, some shitake and some parsley. You can use a dash of soy sauce to taste.
Yoga to heal and strengthen your kidneys
In Kundalini Yoga there are several great Kriyas that work specifically on the kidneys, one of them you can find on our Practice Page – Kriya for the Kidneys. This Kriya supports your body to get rid of worry, stress, edginess and stored emotions. If you feel like diving deeper into this practice and recharge your kidneys, join the 11 Days Online Guided Sadhana from the 11th till the 21st of December
The Flow of Life – 11 Days Guided Online Guided Sadhana
In this 11 Days Online Guided Sadhana (11 – 21 December) we will focus on your kidneys and adrenals to recharge your batteries, fight fatigue and help you diminish the negative side effects of stress. The daily guidance emails will support you in finding your way to flow with life instead of going against the current. For 11 days in a row we invite you to practice the same Kundalini Yoga Kriya everyday. You will practice along with a beautiful video and we will support and motivate you to keep up with the daily emails and in the online community. This Sadhana will give you a steady structure to make a significant change in your daily life.