Vegan Pizza Time - guilt & cruelty free and so yummy!
Often when we eat pizza in the background we hear a little voice that says 'This is not healthy, you shouldn't eat this.' Pizza is a typical guilty pleasure. Of course it's no issue to eat pizza every once and while, especially not if you prepare it yourself and use good fresh products as your toppings. This pizza recipe is totally guilt proof and vegan! A perfect recipe to make when the weather ain't that great and you wanna cheer up your own and everybody elses mood.
This pizza recipe doesn't contain any fat cheese, meat or gluten, also your stomach is gonna love you for it and it wont give you 'Now I just wanna crash on my coach' energy dip. Don't let this seeming difficult recipe put you off. Just prepare every part in the given order and before your start read through it once from beginning to end. This pizza will serve two big eaters and three medium eaters. If neccessary just double the ingredients.
- 1 onion cut into two and then in rings
- 1 rode bell pepper in half rings
- 6 mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 zucchini cut into thin long slices along its length (about 3mm.)
- handful of green/black olives, without pit, cut in two
1. Put the zucchini in the oven and let them roast for about 10 minutes in the oven on 180C. Or if you prefer grill them in a grill pan.
2. Fry the onion and the bellpepper on a very low heat in a bit of coconot oil and let them gently caramalize while you prepare the other ingredients of the pizza.
3. Put the mushrooms and olives aside in a small bowl to put on top of your pizza later on.
Ingredients for the crust:
- 1 sachet of yeast
- 1 cup of warm water (warm but not hot!)
- 1 cup of buckwheat flour
- 1 1/4 cup of brown rice flour
- 2 tbs of grounded flax seeds
- 1 ts of salt
- 1/2 ts of dried oregano
- 1/2 ts of dried basil
- a dash of grounded red chilli
- 1 tbs maple syrup (can also be honey if you do not want your pizza to be vegan)
- 1 ts of apple cider vinegar
1. Mix the yeast through the warm water, stir until dissolved.
2. Put all the other dry ingredients into a large bowl, mix and create a little hole in the middle. Pour all the liquid ingredients (yeast water, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar) in it. Mix well and put aside, covered with a cloth.
Ingredients for the tomato sauce:
- 1 can of organic tomotoes in cubes
- 1/2 ts dried oregano
- 1/2 ts dried basil
- a dash of dried red chilli
- 1/2 ts of salt
- 2-3 cloves of garlic chopped
Mix all the ingredients in a small bowl and put aside to put on your pizza.
Ingredients for the vegan cheese:
- 1 1/2 cup of almond milk (without sugar)
- 1/4 cups of nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup of brown rice flour
- 2 tbs of tahin
- 2 tbs of arrowroot powder
- 2 ts fresh lime juice
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 ts (small) of salt
1. Put all the ingredients in a bowl and mix with an immersion blender, or put them in your blender.
2. Mix until it is a smooth sauce.
3. In a small pot on medium heat stir until the sauce becomes thicker, don't let it become too thick, you need to be able to pour it over your pizza.
Preparation of your Pizza
And now finally 'le Moment Supreme', composing your piece of art, your pizza! I preferred to use a baking tin with a non-stick coating, about 20 by 30 cm.
1. Dust the baking tin with some flour and put the crust mix in it. Also dust the crust mix to avoid it sticking to your hands.
2. Press it out towards the sides and try to make it evenly thick everywhere.
3. Spread the tomato sauce on top and then the vegan cheese sauce.
4. Top with the zucchini, caramalized onion and bellpepper, mushrooms and olive. If you wanna add other things, go ahead!
5. Bake your pizza in about 20 to 25 minutes in your oven on 180C. Meanwhile check to make sure it isn't burning.
6. When your pizza is done it should come out of the baking tin easily and the crust should be light golden brown.